Court usage and etiquette
To ensure that we all enjoy our tennis at Duffield, please follow the guidelines when on court.
- When arriving, please signal politely to the players on court that you have booked and are waiting, but allow them time to finish the present game before claiming your court.
- Serve when your opponent is ready, don't return serves that are out; the server should call the score after each point.
- At Duffield, if a train is passing, do not serve until it has passed in order to hear a possible 'let'
- Call your own lines, the call is your opponents' if the ball is at their end.
- Foot-faults: A foot-fault takes place if your foot touches either the baseline or the court before your racket touches the ball during serve.
- If your ball goes onto another court, wait until they stop playing until you either ask for the ball, or fetch it.
- Always go round the net, not over it.
- Do not walk behind players if they are playing a point. For most Duffield courts there are dedicated gates from the paths, please use these. (Except courts 2 and 4)
- During organised Social Tennis, play a tiebreak when the score is 5-5 or even 4-4 if others are waiting.
- Dress: players should wear sports clothes and sports footwear, not jeans or shoes.
- Players should not use their mobile phone on court.
Spectators - Please consider players' feelings and not offer advice, adverse comments or call out during games. Speak quietly if you have to use your phone.